Daimler Recalls 63,000 Trucks Due to Partially Covered Rear Reflective Tape
Portland, OR – Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) is recalling more than 63,000 Freightliner, Western Star and Sterling trucks due to a rear retroreflective sheeting issue.
The non-compliance recall involves 58 models dating back to 2005.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), “The rear reflective tape may be partially covered by the mudflap hanger bracket, which may reduce the vehicle’s visibility to other drivers on the road. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS).”
While no crashes are known to have been reported due to the issue, DTNA informs the NHTSA a total of 63,175 are affected.
Trucks involved in the recall include:
• 2014-2021: Freightliner 122SD
• 2006: Freightliner Argosy
• 2006-2021: Freightliner Business Class M2
• 2008-2021: Freightliner.Cascadia
• 2006-2011: Freightliner Century Classic
• 2006-2008: Freightliner Classic XL
• 2006-2020: Freightliner Columbia
• 2007-2020: Freightliner Coronado
• 2006-2010: Freightliner FLD
• 2007: Sterling 9500
• 2006-2007: Sterling AT9500
• 2017: Western Star 5700
DTNA, which became aware of the issue in February, says its dealers will fix the lighting issue free of charge by simply repositioning the mud flap hanger bracket.
The recall will begin June 12.
Truck owners with questions are encouraged to call call customer service at (800) 547-0712 and reference recall number FL848.
Photo courtesy Daimler