FMCSA Announces 25 Drivers Selected to First Ever CMV Advisory Panel
Washington D.C. – The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has named 25 drivers from all sectors of the industry to serve as a new panel to the Agency’s Motor Carrier Safety Advisory Committee (MCSAC) comprised of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers.
In September of last year the FMCSA said it was forming a new panel comprised of professional drivers for the purpose of receiving feedback on critical issues facing the trucking industry.
This new subcommittee to MCSAC is intended to give professional drivers, for the first time, a meaningful seat at the table when regulations are being considered and debated.
It was a point FMCSA Deputy Administrator Wiley Deck conceded during an interview with Landline Now last year.
“We are going to establish this driver panel get to the root of the issue hearing directly from drivers for the first time,” Deck said. “Giving [drivers] this seat at the table is a great step forward in providing them an increased voice in our decision making here at the Agency.”
Drivers were encouraged to apply to serve on the panel no later than October 16, 2020.
Today, in making the announcement of those who were selected, Deck stated, “FMCSA believes in listening to our drivers and hearing their concerns directly. We know that many of the solutions to the challenges we face don’t come from Washington—they come from the hard-working men and women who are behind the wheel all over our nation.”
The panelists selected for the first ever panel include:
• Mr. Todd Spencer, Chairman, Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA)
• Mr. William Bennett III, UPS Freight
• Mr. Teddy Cranford, Waste Management of Maryland, Inc
• Ms. Debra Desiderato, Walkabout Transport
• Mr. Douglas Feathers, URS Midwest Inc.
• Mr. Steve Fields, YRC Freight
• Ms. JoAnne Forbes, MBT Worldwide, Inc.
• Mr. Gerald Fritts, Jr., American Overland Freight
• Mr. John Grosvenor, McKiernan Trucking
• Mr. Attila Gyorfi, RSP Express Inc.
• Mr. W. Scott Harrison, K Limited Carriers
• Ms. Rhonda Hartman, Old Dominion Freight Lines
• Mr. Darwin Hershberger, Hershberger Livestock, LLC
• Mr. Daniel Kobussen, Kobussen Buses, Ltd.
• Ms. Deb Labree, Castle Transport, LLC
• Mr. Alphonso Lewis, YRC Freight
• Mr. Don Logan, FedEx Freight
• Ms. Kellylynn McLaughlin, Schneider National, Inc.
• Ms. Tina Peterson, Ravenwood Transport
• Mr. Stephen Pryor, Greyhound Lines, Inc.
• Mr. H. Kevin (Brandy) Russell, Transport America
• Mr. Douglas Smith, Ralph Smith Co.
• Mr. Kevin Steichen, Steichen Trucking
• Ms. Angelique Temple, Atlantic Bulk Carrier
• Ms. Desirée Wood, Real Women in Trucking
Earlier this week the Agency announced those who had been selected to serve on the 2021 MCSAC.
Click HERE to see that list.