Hell Drivers (Movie – 1957)
Hell Drivers is a 1957 British film drama directed by Cy Endfield and starring Stanley Baker, Herbert Lom, Peggy Cummins and Patrick McGoohan.
The film revolves around a recently released convict who takes a driver’s job at a haulage company.
Hell Drivers is notable as being an early film for several actors who later went on to more illustrious careers. It provided early appearances for Jill Ireland and David McCallum, who met and married during the film’s production. It featured Danger Man and The Prisoner actor Patrick McGoohan, and was the third film role for Sean Connery. William Hartnell was the first actor to play the role of The Doctor in the BBC’s Doctor Who; Gordon Jackson appeared as the butler Hudson in ITV’s Upstairs, Downstairs. Sid James was a regular supporting actor in British films at the time and appeared in most of the Carry On series. Herbert Lom starred in the ABC Television series The Human Jungle before playing the hapless Commissioner Dreyfus in The Pink Panther film franchise. Cy Endfield directed Stanley Baker in Zulu.
Others including Robin Bailey, Charles Lamb, John Horsley and Wensley Pithey featured regularly in British films and television thereafter. Long-established actor Wilfrid Lawson also made an appearance. In 1966, he co-starred with Patrick McGoohan in the final black-and-white episode of Danger Man, “Not So Jolly Roger”.
• Stanley Baker as Tom Yately
• Herbert Lom as Gino Rossi
• Peggy Cummins as Lucy Patrick
• McGoohan as G. “Red” Redman
• William Hartnell as Cartley
• Wilfrid Lawson as Ed, Hawlett’s mechanic
• Sid James as Dusty, driver, truck 22
• Jill Ireland as Jill, ‘Pull Inn’ waitress
• Alfie Bass as Tinker, truck driver
• Gordon Jackson as Scottie, truck driver
• David McCallum as Jimmy Yately, Tom’s brother
• Sean Connery as Johnny Kates, driver, truck 19
• Wensley Pithey as Pop, driver, truck 4
• George Murcell as Tub, truck driver
• Marjorie Rhodes as Ma West, landlady
• Vera Day as Blonde at dance
• Beatrice Varley as Mrs. Yately, Tom’s mother
• Robin Bailey as Hawlett’s assistant manager
• John Miller
• Jerry Stovin as Chick Keithley
• John Horsley as Doctor attending
• Gino Marianne Stone as Nurse attending
• Gino Ronald Clarke as Barber Joe
• Charles Lamb as Cafe owner (uncredited)
• Hal Osmond as Station ticket clerk (uncredited)
• Ben Williams as Harry, Hawlett’s gateman (uncredited)
• Ian Wilson as Gibson, Hawlett’s paymaster (uncredited)