Trucker Amos Phillips Is Angry About The Indictment Of His Attacker, But Why?
“I don’t think they are charging this man hard enough. They have charged him with assault, but I think it should be attempted murder.” – Amos Phillips
Pocatello, Idaho – Trucker Amos Phillips is responding to the announcement earlier this week that his alleged attacker has been indicted by a federal grand jury, but Phillips is far from satisfied.
On Wednesday Transportation Nation Network reported the indictment of Stormy Ray Adakai, 23, in the brutal attack on Missouri truck driver Amos Phillips at TP Truck Stop in Fort Hall, Idaho, over Labor Day weekend. U.S. Attorney Bart Davis made the announcement that Adakai has now been indicted on one count of assault resulting in serious bodily injury. He faces up to 10 years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and up to three years of supervised release.
NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Says Phillips
According to an explosive new interview with PostRegister.com, Phillips is lashing out at investigators in the case and demanding more charges be filed against Adakai. “I don’t think they are charging this man hard enough,” Phillips told the online news outlet during a Wednesday phone interview. “There are several charges that the prosecuting attorney’s office said they aren’t going to file, (including) breaking and entering and attempted robbery. They have charged him with assault, but I think it should be attempted murder.”
According to the Fort Hall Police and FBI, Adakai admitted to breaking into Phillips’ semi and beating him with two rocks after demanding money, so why wasn’t Adakai charged with additional crimes? Phillips says upon learning of the indictment he reached out to Jack Haycock with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Idaho to inquire why more charges weren’t filed against Adakai.
Phillips said Haycock explained to him that additional charges were not filed because of the way in which the Fort Hall Police Department investigated the scene of the crime. Phillips said Haycock told him the Fort Hall Police Department should have immediately dispatched a detective to investigate and obtain physical evidence from the scene, something Phillips claims didn’t happen, based on his frequent conversations with Fort Hall police.
According to the Post Register, Haycock told them in a Wednesday phone interview, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Idaho “filed the charges that we felt we could prove beyond a reasonable doubt,” and confirmed he had spoken to Phillips about the charges and lack thereof.
Did Police Mishandle Evidence In The Case?
Phillips also claims Fort Hall police did not adequately preserve incriminating DNA evidence from the scene. He says police acknowledged to him well after the attack they hadn’t recovered crucial evidence including fingerprints, potential sources of DNA and the two rocks Adakai confessed to using in the attack.
Phillips is also leveling charges against the Shoshone-Bannock Tribal Police for failure to properly investigate the matter. Phillips says that the only physical evidence recovered at the scene, a baseball cap that police say Adakai confessed to owning, was not obtained by tribal police until Phillips returned to the truck to retrieve some belongings almost two full days after he was attacked. Phillips now claims he spoke to Fort Hall authorities more than three weeks after the attack and they admitted they had yet to send the cap to an Idaho State Police forensics lab for testing.
Raising even more questions about the investigation is the fact Fort hall authorities did not release any public statements about the attack until six weeks after the assault took place. What took them so long Phillips wants to know.
With Medical Bills Mounting, What’s Next For Phillips?
Transportation Nation Network reported this week that Phillips’ medical bills have climbed to over $50,000 as he has suffered complications from his initial gruesome injuries. Phillips has now revealed he has begun suffering seizures from the brain injuries and trauma he suffered. He said, “I am on a pill to keep the seizures down that I have to be on for five years seizure-free before doctors will medically clear me to drive a truck again.”
Phillips is also concerned he will never be able to do what he loves and drive a truck professionally again. “I’m almost 65-years-old now. Who is going to want to hire a 70-year-old semi-truck driver,” he asked.
Phillips has worked for the Camdenton, Missouri-based JWE, Inc. trucking company for many years. The owner, John Williams, set up a GoFundMe page to help Phillips raise money to pay for his continuing medical treatment. So far the campaign has raised $8,100 of the $10,000 goal. Even if the goal of $10,000 is achieved, Phillips will need much more than this to pay for his ongoing care.
Source: Read the full interview with Amos Phillips HERE.
OTHER RECENT INVESTIGATION NEWS