Trucker Is “Ready To Roll” As His Appeal In High Profile Case Will Be Heard July 16
Olive Branch, Mississippi – The wait to clear his name is almost over for Clinton Kirker, the owner operator found guilty of disorderly conduct stemming from a controversial incident last year at a Mississippi shipper.
The appeal in the high-profile case was originally scheduled for May 30, 2019, but has been officially rescheduled for Tuesday, July 16.
Kirker tells Transportation Nation Network (TNN) in an exclusive interview that he is “nervous,” but he and his wife Shannon are “ready to roll.”
“After the first round and all the delays this time, I really want this over with,” Kirker says.
He still believes he will be cleared of the Disorderly Conduct – Interfering With A Business charge because the surveillance video of the incident “absolutely proves I didn’t do anything to warrant what they did to us.”
Surveillance video of the September 2018 altercation at Metro Foods Distribution Center was obtained by Kirker through his former attorney and released to the public by Kirker in December 2018.
Upon the release of the video, many in the trucking community sounded off about the treatment they witnessed, as more than a half dozen security guards are seen violently detaining the husband and wife owner operator team.
Many were dismayed, when in January of this year, a DeSoto County judge found Kirker guilty of the Disorderly Conduct charge while dismissing a charge of Assault.
Immediately following the guilty verdict, Kirker vowed to continue fighting to clear his name and on behalf of all truckers.
“If I lose this case it will say that shippers and recievers can legally hold us against our will and we as truckers have no rights,” he said. “I’m not fighting this just for myself now. I’m fighting for truck drivers across the country.”
What Is Different This Time Around?
A key difference this time around is, for the first time in the case, a jury will watch the video, hear the testimony and render a verdict.
“I truly hope my jury knows right from wrong and what the guards did was not only immoral, but also illegal,” Kirker said to TNN in April. “The guards had no lawful reason to stop me as no crime had been committed.”
In the first trial the judge said Kirker’s big rig was blocking traffic from entering or exiting the facility and his actions rose to the level of interfering with a business.
Kirker argues the video proves he was returning to his truck with the intention of leaving when a security guard impeded his path and began the physical altercation.
“Had the guard not held me against my will and I had been allowed to get my phone, close up my truck and leave, my truck wouldn’t have blocked the entrance to the facility,” Kirker contends.
Further, he asserts, “The guards caused the interference and my attorney will easily prove this simply by showing the jury I was going to the truck when I was blocked and Assaulted by not one, but several guards.”
Getting Back Behind-The-Wheel
As the couple sought to deal with their physical, mental, emotional, financial, and legal challenges in the aftermath of the incident, they were faced with even more difficulties.
The two of them have been battling their injuries from the accident, but have now both been cleared to begin driving again.
Kirker tells TNN they will soon take delivery of a 2019 Freightliner Cascadia and have found a new carrier to lease on with.
The couple is scheduled to begin orientation with the new carrier on July 22, and are looking forward to a new start.
Through it all Kirker tells TNN his message for truck drivers, no matter what challenges they are dealing with in life, is to simply “never give up.”
Stay with TransportationNation.com for the jury’s decision and the latest on this case.
Want to read the latest legal news from the trucking industry? Click HERE.
MORE TRENDING NEWS