Truckers Planning ‘Freedom Convoy’ Claim Protest Will Be Lawful Despite Social Media Chatter

NEW DEVELOPMENTS
Canada’s Transport Minister Defends Mandates For Truckers as ‘Freedom Convoy’ Raises $1 MILLION

 

Ottawa, ON — Truckers planning Canada’s upcoming “Freedom Convoy” say they will only engage in lawful conduct despite accusations to the contrary.

A group of Canadian truck drivers are pushing back against Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Federal Government for imposing sweeping COVID-19-related mandates.




 

As Transportation Nation Network (TNN) reported this week, a nationwide “slow roll” is scheduled to begin on January 23, and converge in Ottawa on January 28.

“We are taking our fight to the doorsteps of our Federal Government and demanding that they cease all mandates against its people,” organizers of the Freedom Convoy wrote in a GoFundMe campaign, which has now raised over C$500,000.

However, concerns truckers might block roadways and exits have heightened in the last 48 hours as chatter on social media has increased.




 

One flyer being circulated calls for locking down Ottawa until governmental leaders end the mandates.



Multiple organizers of the Freedom Convoy told TNN on Wednesday they are urging drivers — and all participants — to remain peaceful and within the law.

“We are not planning on doing anything illegal,” said Brigitte Belton, who is one of the organizers. “I don’t think it will come to that. Our whole goal is to have freedom for Canadians.”

 

Earlier this week, another group of frustrated truckers protested near the U.S.-Canada border in Manitoba.

The demonstration on Highway 75 was between Emerson Duty Free and the Commercial Inspection station and reportedly disrupted the operations and flow of traffic.

“Whatever happened to freedom of choice? We don’t have that anymore,” Joe Janzen told SteinbachOnline about why he participated in the protest. “We are just making it known that we are making a stand. Enough is enough.”




 

The Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA), the country’s largest group representing trucking stakeholders, issued a statement on Wednesday condemning the protests.

Click HERE to read what the CTA had to say.

Stay logged on to TransportationNation.com for continuing coverage on this developing story.

Photos courtesy Cameron Hildebrand

 


RECENTLY RELATED
Carriers Already Losing Capacity Due to Canada’s New Cross-Border Mandate
Trucker Captures Tense Exchange With Border Agents as Canada’s New Mandate Begins
Schneider Refutes Speculation About Why It’s Leaving Canada
VIDEO: Canadian Truckers Are Saying ‘Enough is Enough’

If you enjoyed this article, please help us grow by sharing it. Thank you!

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS



Pin It on Pinterest

Share This