Woman Who Admitted To Murdering Trucker Sentenced

Flowerfield Township, Michigan – A 25-year-old Michigan woman who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of a truck driver late last year was sentenced on Friday.

Kayla Chaney admitted to taking part in the murder of 41-year-old Kentucky truck driver Kevin Johnson during a violent drug deal at a residence in Flowerfield Township, Michigan in November of 2018.

On Friday in St. Joseph County Circuit Court she was sentenced to 25 to 75 years in prison.


Cheney was originally charged with felony firearm, armed robbery and open murder.

She waived her right to a preliminary hearing and agreed to a plea deal and to be sentenced for second-degree murder.

Her alleged accomplices, Tyler McNeil, 20, and Theron Hunt, 40, are also facing a pile of serious charges.

Their cases are continuing through the legal process at this time.

How Did It All Go Down?

Stanielle King is the owner of the home where Johnson’s murder took place on November 14, 2018.

In January she testified during a preliminary hearing for Hunt that Johnson messaged her the night he was murdered asking to purchase meth for he and his girlfriend.

According to a source close to the investigation, King once lived in Kentucky near where Johnson and his girlfriend lived.

King was friends with Johnson’s girlfriend and Johnson met King through his relationship with his girlfriend.

TNN sources indicate Johnson and his girlfriend had frequented King’s home a few times for dinner and to buy drugs on their way through the area along Johnson’s trucking route.

King testified that she reached out to Hunt that night, whom she said she had only met the day before, in hopes he had the drugs she needed to meet Johnson’s request.


When Hunt said he did, King gave Hunt directions to her home.

King says when Hunt arrived to her home he was accompanied by both McNeil and Chaney.

The three of them, according to King, beat her and then taped her mouth, eyes and hands while holding her at gunpoint.

She says McNeil then held a knife to her back and led her to her bedroom.

King then testified that while McNeil smoked meth and kept her subdued, Chaney and Hunt ransacked her house looking for drugs and other valuables to steal.

She says Chaney and Hunt were removing items from her home and placing them in their car outside when Johnson and his girlfriend pulled up in his semi.

King testified that as Johnson and his girlfriend entered the home she “heard a shuffle.”

She says Johnson was then thrown to the ground as she [King] was struck in the head with a gun Chaney was holding.

As she struggled to regain consciousness, King said, “The next thing I recall hearing was the boom.”

That boom she says was the gunshot to the chest that killed Johnson.


King then said the suspects fled in their vehicle and Johnson’s girlfriend began screaming for help.

She said Johnson attempted to pursue the suspects after he was shot, but was unable to get far and fell onto the steps in front of the home.

“I just kept saying, ‘Stay with us, we need you bud,’” King said of her interaction with Johnson after he had been shot.

During her testimony King did admit that she was “high” at the time of the deadly altercation.

The defense attorney pounced on this and called into question King’s drug use and prior criminal history of drug possession.

At one point during her testimony, the judge warned her about the possibility of incriminating herself in connection with additional crimes, but King said, “I’d rather have that than not have justice for Kevin.”

Transportation Nation Network will continue to monitor any new developments.




If you enjoyed this article, please help us grow by sharing it. Thank you!


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This